Match Reports

Sheppey United came back from 3-1 down to secure a 3-3 draw on Tuesday evening in a game where mistakes were to cost them.

The Ites made two changes from the weekend  with Richie Hamill and James Jeffrey starting ahead of Ryan Freeman and Junior Aikhionbare.

The away side started brightly enough with Jack Midson’s header from a corner hitting the side section of the goal frame. At the opposite end Kennington won a few corners with Midson and then Bennett clearing. The home side were starting to look the most likely to score with Molloy saving well on 12 minutes and a few minutes later Gary Lockyer shot wide.  Kennington then edged ahead on 18 minutes – Gary Lockyer taking full advantage of a loose back pass to slot neatly past Molloy for 1-0.

The Ites should have equalised on 22 minutes. Jack Midson played a ball to Hamill down the left and his cross was blasted over the crossbar by Jeffrey with Tenyue also ready to line up a shot. Four minutes later Jeffrey turned provider when he ran down the left and swept over a low cross which Danny Smith hit first time for 1-1.

On the half hour mark Midson flicked the ball towards Bennett with a Kennington defender doing well to get a toe to the ball and prevent Sheppey from getting through on goal. A bit later in the half, Tenyue’s first time ball set Bennett running, he found Jeffrey who was dispossessed when he maybe could have played to Roberts.

Then on the stroke of half-time Kennington went ahead again. Callum Peck converted into the bottom corner of the net after Gary Clarke had hit the post.

Half-time: Kennington 2 Sheppey United 1

Sheppey introduced Ryan Freeman in place of Hamill at half time. Both sides forced early corners and Jack Midson also had an attempt blocked on 52 minutes before Kennington then went on to score again. It came on 53 minutes when they had a shot knocked wide for a corner – the ball came through a crowded area where Gary Clarke emerged unmarked after the ball cannoned off Molloy to stab home for 3-1.

Sheppey immediately threw-on Junior Aikhionbare in place of Jack Midson – and he made an instant impact. After being found on the left of the Kennington area he took a few strides before firing hard past Mant’s near post for 3-2 on 57 minutes. Aikhionbare was turning the momentum for the Ites and this showed on 63 minutes – the forward stormed down the right and cut the ball back to Freeman who touched to Roberts, with the wingers first time curler going whizzing past the post.

Sheppey got level at 3-3 on 64 minutes and again it involved Aikhionbare. As the ball went flying across the 6-yard box Aikhionbare and a defender both met it with the ball going beyond keeper Mant.  Kennington then had a spell of trying to pin the Ites back before Taurean Roberts then had an effort saved by Mant with the follow-up from Aikhionbare hacked off the line.

A Kennington corner was cleared on 79 minutes whilst Ryan Freeman forced Mant into a save with 82 showing on the clock. With 5 minutes to go Dan Birch played long for Junior Aikhionbare to charge onto – this time the Mant prevented him from converting. A minute later the home side went desperately close from edging in front again when Tommy Scorer almost converted from a corner. The last chance of the game fell to the hosts but a weak free-kick fell straight to Molloy.

Full-time: Kennington 3 Sheppey United 3

Sheppey starting 11: 1. Molloy; 12. Birch, 3. Smith, 20. Allan, 4. Howlett-Mundle; 6. Hamill, 8. Bennett, 17. Tenyue, 11. Roberts; 10. Midson; 9. Jeffrey

Sheppey subs used: 19. Freeman (for Hamill), 2. Wilson (for Tenyue), 15. Aikhionbare (for Midson)

Sheppey subs not used: 5. Sains, 16. Carey

Kennington starting 11: Mant, Stow, Crimmen, Kirby, Sedenu, Lavender, Clarke, Dolan, Lockyer, Scorer, Peck

Kennington subs: Hughes, Oladipupo, Owen, Middleton, Carney


Comments are closed.

Sheppey United FC